About First Choice Books — History, Services, and Values
About First Choice Books — History
First Choice Books is part of a more than 55-year-old independently-owned and operated bindery company, which was founded by Rudolf Adamek in 1958. Adamek trained as a bookbinder in Poland before WWII, and started the business while with the military.
By 1988 the company was formally incorporated, and in 1993 then-owners Shy and Angel Riyasat added the self-publishing arm of the business, First Choice Books. Current owners Patrick O’Connor and Melanie Perkins purchased the combined companies in 2011.
We are the proud printer of several Poet Laureates, winners of an Alcuin award for printing poetry and sponsors of writer’s festivals and awards and members of writers’ clubs and a national association of book binders. We publish both fiction and nonfiction.
First Choice Books now occupies 4500 square feet. Today we have in-house digital printing in both black & white and colour, design services, and a full bindery operation which produces soft cover books, hard cover books, and undertakes book repair and custom work. We continue to design and develop our own lines of printed product, including calendars, magnetic lists, and notebooks.
About First Choice Books’ Affordable Services – All Under One Roof
With all of our operations under one roof, we offer affordable, effective and efficient professional publishing and printing services including ebooks. Our dedicated, knowledgeable staff are here to help authors every step of the way through the publishing process.
These values are key to our success:
- Proud service to authors across North America and worldwide
- Respect and positive engagement with our clients in furthering their goals
- Environmentally sensitive commitment to the publishing process
- Reliable and consistent maintenance of a high standard of product
- Professional service with a personal touch
- The incorporation of over 50 years of experience into daily assistance to the writing community
Commitment to Protecting the Environment: Lean and Green Initiative
Some guidelines we follow:
- Turn off lights and equipment at night to save energy.
- Use eco-friendly materials.
- Introduce paperless systems to reduce waste and save on printing and toner costs.
- Recycle toner containers and used equipment and all byproducts of the publishing process.
Unlike other companies, much of the paper we use is tree-free and, we maximize our print layout per sheet of paper, thus reducing paper waste substantially, while offering you great prices for printing your book.